Saturday, May 15, 2010

Teaching the Terrified Tongue (Part XXXV)

The teenager asked, “How come I'm not in this book?”

“Well you can be in it if only you’d sit down and write.”

The teenager, “What will I write about?”

“Anything that comes to your head.”

“Is that poetry? I can’t write well.”

“You can if you share what you think. If you can think you can write. If you breathe perhaps you can think. Respiration leads to inspiration.”

What about the people in the hospital? The young lady who could not communicate. Who was a alone in her bed. Her body was no longer capable of gesture or movement.

“I can’t write. My fingers won’t move.”

Or the communication disorders associated with echolalia, autism, cerebral palsy or dyslexia?

“I can’t make my tongue move. It’s locked in my mouth.”

The tongue articulates thought, but Stephen Hawking, the physicist with ALD, communicates through a machine. Special educators have used computers to assist other students with a range of disabilities to speak. The computer has given the writer access to other readers.

No comments: