Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Teaching the Terrified Tongue (Part XLIV)

Another incarcerated student, who worked with Matthew Hejna, wrote under the pseudonym of José Respeto. He published “A Day in the Life” in the Winter ’91 issue of Strictly Business. He begins his story of 24 hours at 7:30 a.m. on a school day.

What’s up, man? You wasn’t getting up at 7:30 in the morning in New York, but if I don’t get up now the C.O. will be by my cell in about five minutes and then I’ll have to answer to him. Man, if he ain’t have that badge on his chest he won’t be shit. If I was in New York... Damn the world, damn this place and everyone in it. Got to brush my teeth, wash my face and comb my hair. Got my fly clothes on. Gots to show brothers I’m living large. Yup, got the fly kicks on too. I’m looking proper.

Time to walk out for school. Hold up, let me just flex in the mirror right quick and make sure everything is in the right place. Yup, just as I thought. Oh man, almost forgot the burner. Can’t go nowhere without my burner. Just in case a brother try and front. Alright got some brothers checking me out. How do they do it? Oh yeah, just keep your arms pretty much still. Don’t swing ‘em, just move your shoulders and bop to the side a little. Yeah, now you got the walk, let’s work on the face I’m gonna wear for the rest of the day. Okay, keep your jaws tight, squint your eyes a little. Now, drop your eyebrows. That’s it. I’m on a roll now. Man, am I a trooper or what? Yeah, that’ll put fear in their heart. They won’t even look at me no more. They better not.

Man, I hate walking in a damn line, like we’re in grade school or something. We’re passing another house. Look hard. You ain’t new to this. A little more on the walk...right, riiight. What’s that? Mod 11? Man, them brothers are ass! Get ready, if any jump off, just keep swinging. Keep on looking hard. Yeah, they know better. Our house is the chop shop. I really could do without the riot squad though. The riot squad. Man, listen...if I was in New York...

Man, these teachers be bugging out. What I need to know all this geometry stuff for? As long as I can count my money, I’m straight. Man, what I need to come to school for anyway? I wasn’t going to school in New York. Well, I was, but it sure wasn’t for no geometry--them girls was fly. These teachers be looking good, too. Man, if I was in New York...

No comments: