Sunday, May 30, 2010

Teaching the Terrified Tongue (Part XLVI)

Misael, a student at Island Academy, who had been truant through most of his school career, was labeled by the schools as uneducable and mentally retarded. That changed after the school based support team read the stories he told me his story in the computer room. As he spoke I typed out his words. He took the printout to his dorm, worked with a C.O., and brought it back with his suggested revisions.

Have you ever been in the boy scouts when you were a kid? I was...

I want to talk about the Always Crazy Crew Posse. My story of a posse that can’t be stopped. Yes, it’s the ACC Posse from Brooklyn at Coney Island.

The ACC is like a little army because we lie to fight wars. Yes. We do carry the pump shotguns, the thirty thirty Winchesters and the sawed off double barrels and the 25 automatic. Yes, to be in the posse you can’t be a chump. You’ve got to go all out. You’ve got to fight with all of us. Then you’ve got to get initiated... firewhippings on your back. You know... when you get whipped by everybody five times.

I started when my big brother (He’s the second leader of the ACC) heard me ask if I could join the posse. He told me yes, but you have to listen and learn what to do. He told me you can’t be scared of fighting. You can’t be scared of shooting. You can’t be scared of getting hurt and no ratting on where we get the guns if you get busted.

So I said yes and I took the whole test. This was no joke. It was no school. It was an army war.

The first tumble I had was at the Marlborough Projects. Yes, it started at Kaiser Park. A crew from Marlborough threw a jam at Kaiser Park. There was one girl from Marlborough who’d invited us to the party. She said there wouldn’t be any fighting. So me and the boys said alright. Everything would be peaceful, but don’t let them try to front on us. ‘Cause if they try to front on us we’re going to bust out wide open.

No comments: