Saturday, May 22, 2010

Teaching the Terrified Tongue (Part XLI)

A variant on Molyneaux’s Question: Suppose a person, who did not read books, be made to read in school. Could the person learn through reading to empathize more with others and come away with a better understanding of human nature?

Students struggle with words. The printed page gives otherwise silent students a voice among their peers. It is also a challenge for many to participate.

For sixteen years Streams was distributed through alternative high school classrooms. Lorraine and Tommy’s computer correspondence was published in Streams 1. She was verbal:


I know that I talk a lot, but when you respond, I hope you can give me just as much. When I came into the computer room, the first thing I said was, “Richard, do you have a letter from my pen pal?" And he told me that you didn’t finish. Don’t make me wait too long. Well, it’s time to go. The next letter is on you.

She faulted him for not being able to keep up his part of the conversation:

Lately your letters have been getting kind of ‘relaxed’. When I take out the time to write you a descriptive, fully detailed letter, I expect you to do the same thing. I’m the kind of girl who likes a challenge and lately you haven’t satisfied that need at all. You’re gonna have to come better than you have been if you wish to continue these brief conversations.

No comments: