Monday, October 26, 2009

Small Press Poet 3

Using my old Olympia typewriter to typeset and hiring an offset printer, I was able to fund limited editions of small poetry chapbooks. I was selling mass market paperbacks for Bantam Books and reading plays for Joe Papp at the New York Shakepeare Festival. I named my publications BardPress, and published chapbooks for the Scribblers under that imprint.

The Eye of the Cat by Matt Laufer

Aria by Lydia Raurell

The chapbooks were distributed at poetry readings and at the New York Small Press Book Fair; the first of which was held at the Huntington Hartford Gallery of Modern Art at Columbus Circle (1974). -- Subsequent fairs were held at Lincoln Center, the Custom’s House, Bryant Park, Martin Luther King Jr. High School, NYU, the East Side Armory, Madison Square Garden, and finally in 1987 at Columbia University.

No comments: